Do you suffer from bruxism? If you find yourself grinding, gnashing, and clenching your teeth, you might suffer from bruxism which can occur when you're awake or asleep. This is a common habit that one in three adults do during the day and one in ten at night.
The symptoms for teeth grinding include teeth clenching or grinding, dull headaches in the temples, tooth pain or sensitivity, loss of enamel, sleep disruption, and pain in the jaw, neck, or face. But what can you do about bruxism? A mouth guard is an excellent solution to teeth grinding!
How do I know if I need a mouth guard?
Mouth guards protect your lips, tongue, cheeks, and teeth. But, how do you know which one is right for you?
- Sports guard: If you're an athlete and skateboard or play football or hockey, you will benefit from a custom-made mouth guard. They are highly effective in protecting your mouth from impacts.
- Teeth grinding: A custom-made mouth guard is perfect for people who experience teeth grinding because it can get made to suit your grinding pattern. They are also designed for your comfort!
- Sleep apnea: 25 million people in the U.S. suffer from sleep apnea, and it can cause serious health risks due to your breathing being interrupted. A custom-made mouth guard will help you sleep better on the first night!
- Snoring: Snoring can be frustrating because it interrupts your sleep and causes you to be fatigued throughout the day. A night-guard will open your breathing passages and do wonders for your sleep.
Keep in mind that store-bought mouth guards are not fitted to your needs and the shape of your mouth. As a result, they can be uncomfortable and less effective. You also risk your teeth shifting over the long term.
Mouth Guards for Teeth Grinding
You need a mouth guard if you suffer from severe teeth grinding at night. The following are good reasons why you need a mouth guard for teeth grinding:
- Your teeth are shifting from teeth grinding
- You suffer from stress, depression, or anxiety because it can cause you to grind your teeth at night
- You have tooth sensitivity
- You have chipped or broken teeth
- You have swollen or diseased gums, which can worsen if you grind your teeth
- You have loss of tooth enamel
- You have lower jaw pain
Let's explore different types of mouth guards for severe teeth grinding and how to choose one that's right for you!
What are the different types of mouth guards?
There are three different types of mouth guards available:
1. Boil and Bite Mouth Guard
The boil and bite mouth guard gets custom-made to fit your unique biting pattern. You can get them made by professionals at a dentist's office, find them at select sporting goods stores, or have them sent to you and made at home. Making the boil and bite mouth guard at home requires boiling the bite guard and waiting for it to soften. Then, after it gets fitted to your mouth, wait for it to set, and if it doesn't fit comfortably, you will need to repeat the process.
2. Stock Mouth Guards
Stock mouth guards are inexpensive and come in three different sizes. The downside to stock mouth guards is they are uncomfortable to wear if they doesn't fit your mouth correctly and there is no way to adjust them.
3. Custom-Made Mouth Guards
Custom-made mouth guards offer the most protection whether you need them for sports or teeth grinding. They protect your teeth, reduce pain from grinding, and are comfortable to wear. They are perfectly fitted for your mouth and customized to suit your needs. They can even be worn if you have braces.
What is the best mouth guard for severe teeth grinding?
Custom-made mouth guards are the best mouth guards to prevent grinding upper or lower teeth. They are perfectly made for your mouth and can reduce your pain. There are two different kinds available – a hard night guard or soft guard.
A hard custom night guard is durable and can treat severe bruxism. It has a longer lifespan, but people tend to stop using hard night guards due to discomfort.
Soft night guards are the best mouth guards for grinding teeth. They are comfortable, durable, and less bulky in your mouth. Not only that, but a soft night guard is affordable, and you can make the mold in the comfort of your own home! According to research, people who used soft guards showed significant improvement in teeth grinding and were more likely to continue wearing them.
Where can I get a custom-made mouth guard for teeth grinding?
There's no need for a trip to the dental office. You can get your own custom-made mouth guard to prevent teeth grinding! It's as easy as placing the order for your dental impression kit, following the instructions and sending it back. You will get the right mouth guard to protect your teeth from grinding. Say goodbye to sensitive teeth, jaw clenching and chipped teeth. And begin enjoying a good night's sleep again!
Contact us for more information!